Is sex trafficking something to be aware of on all social media sites or just some?
This is something to be aware of on any social media site.
1. To be safest, keep all your settings private and don’t add people you don’t know in person. Never share personal information with anyone you don’t know in person.
2. Turn the location services off on your phone. This way, you can never be tracked without your knowledge.
3. Remember that predators are smart and watch for ways to trap young people. Being wise about what you share and who you share it with guards against you being victimized.
How can I
protect myself from trafficking traps?
When you go to the mall or other crowded areas, be aware of your surroundings. Go with a group and do not separate from them. Or, better yet, go with an adult.
Do not develop relationships with people you only know online. Never trust that the person on the other side of the screen is who they say they are.
What should I do
if I'm caught in a trafficking trap?
First, remember that traffickers are trained to manipulate people emotionally and mentally. They may threaten to harm your loved ones if you try to escape, and they will try to convince you that you belong with them. Your first line of defense is to not believe what they say.
If you are able, call 911 immediately.
Try sharing your location with someone you trust and ask them to call 911.
Do whatever you can to flag down law enforcement.
How do I cope
with anger and depression?
1. If you are able, remove yourself from the situation that is upsetting you
2. Try a healthy outlet for managing your feelings in the moment, like drawing, writing, or exercising
3. Talk with a trusted adult, such as your school counselor, a parent, or your favorite teacher
If I post a selfie
on Snapchat, is someone going
to use it?
You might be surprised how often this happens. A good rule of thumb to follow is to refrain from posting anything you wouldn't want to be shared.
Is it really that easy to get an STD?
Yes. Even if it’s your first time, it may not be your partner’s first time. You could be affected by the number of partners they have had, and the number of partners your partner’s partners have had, and so on.
This increases your odds of contracting an STD exponentially, even if you are using condoms.
How can I improve communication in my family?
Is it ok to start dating someone
and get to know them through the relationship?
How can I stop someone from bullying me?
Communication can only improve by practice. Try talking with your dad about how your day was or text your mom about your weekend plans.
Yes! Here are some things to consider as you get to know someone:
1. Are they easy to communicate with?
2. Do they respect the boundaries you set in place?
3. Do they treat others with kindness?
The answers to these questions are good indicators of how they may treat you in the future.
Have you asked them to stop? If you haven’t, start that way. If you have, try to remove yourself from any situation where you would be around them. Don’t make excuses or blame yourself. Help yourself out by involving a trusted adult who can sometimes do more than you can.
What your peers are asking
Have a question you need answered?
Text it to our Pure Truth Text Line 817.835.9898 and it will be answered anonymously here.
How do I gain trust in the person
I'm in a relationship with?
Trust is, and always will be, something to be earned.
Don't put pressure on yourself to leap into trusting, if that person hasn't done their part to receive it. Allow yourself grace to learn and grow in this new relationship, and if this person continues to prove that they are urging you to be your best version, trust will come very naturally.
STD Fact Sheet
How To Keep You Safe Online and Outside Of Your Home
How to Cope with Negative Feelings, including Depression and Suicide
If you or someone you know is having suicidal thoughts, words, or actions, call the National Suicide Prevention line to get you or the person you care about the help needed:1-800-273-TALK (8255)